Wayne County Envirothon 2017 Current Issue
1. Soil and Water Conservation best management practices; their purpose and implementation.
2. How are soil and water conservation best management practices interrelated to the management of wildlife, forestry and aquatic systems?
3. How do agriculturists maintain a balance between their quality of life versus the quality of the environment?
Upon completion of the training, the student will be able to:
1. Identify and recommend soil and water conservation best management practices in agriculture.
2. Describe the role of the federal government in conservation programs that benefit both agricultural producers and the environment.
3. Identify the concept of soil quality/health to provide the needed functions for the conservation planning process.
4. Identify various types of soil erosion and utilize different methods to estimate and predict soil erosion to assess land use impacts.
a.Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation, (RUSLE2)
b. Aerial Photographs
c. Topographic Maps
d. Soil Maps
e. USDA Classification System
f. Soil Surveys
5. Explain why land-use planning is important to our ecosystems and to our economy to achieve sustainable agriculture.
Best Management Practices (BMP) , AEM Nutrient Management , AEM Soil Management, Soil Quality, Soil Quality Indicators, Soil Compaction, Soil Biology and Land Management, Residue Management, Protecting Urban Soils , Managing Conservation Tillage, Effects of Soil Erosion , Crop Rotation
The Farm Bill 2014 Programs- Fact sheet describing the conservation programs
RCPP Projects by State projects (pdf)
Farmers Guide to Conservation Stewardship Programs
AEM NY Agricultural Environmental Management
Guidelines for Soil Quality Assessment in Conservation Planning
USDA Guidelines for Soil Health Assessment
Soil Quality Indicator Facts Sheets
USDA official site for RUSLE
Understanding Erosion with the Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation